Did you know that you can show our planet a little love at the same time you care for your teeth? While it can be difficult to find completely green products that effectively keep your mouth healthy, these tips will help you strike a caring balance for a little green hygiene.
1. Shut Off The Tap While You Brush An estimated 9 glasses of water are lost if you leave the sink running while you brush your teeth for a couple minutes. It's hard to fathom that much water being wasted, but it's too easy to do if you're in the habit.
2. Brush With Bamboo There are actually quite a few companies out there which manufacture toothbrushes made from biodegradable materials. Plant-based elements make up the brush handle, bristles, and packaging. Bonus! It's easy to find a biodegradable toothbrush that's 100% vegan. Go Green Hygiene!
3. Make Your Own Products Check with a dentist on this one before you dive in. Store-bought toothpastes and rinses contain carefully measured levels of the active ingredients your mouth needs to stay healthy. But if you don't have any special oral hygiene needs (such as a gluten allergy) an organic paste or rinse made at home could be a great way to spare the world that extra plastic packaging.
4. Eat More Green Incorporating lots of healthy greens into your diet is good for your body, the environment, and your smile. Dark leafy green vegetables prepared correctly are high in vitamins and minerals that fight disease and inflammation. Choosing fresh veggies over starchy carbs and sugars will make the plaque on your teeth less sticky and germy. That, in turn, improves your dental health, your green hygiene and reduces the need for dental visits. For more tips on a healthy white and green smile, visit a SEDA Dental near you.
* All information subject to change. Images may contain models. Individual results are not guaranteed and may vary.