We're getting into that time of year where things are about to get HOT. One of the best ways to beat the heat is by enjoying something icy cold. Kids love shaved ice, many adults prefer an iced tea or coffee, and who doesn't love a loaded ice cream cone?
Unfortunately, the joy of sinking your teeth into a big chomp of that creamy goodness is overshadowed by the threat of what feels like an electric shock to your teeth. What causes that sharp sensitivity?
You Just Might Have Thin-Skinned Teeth Your teeth are made up of a few different few layers. The inner chamber is hollow and filled with nerves and blood vessels. Around that is the dentin. It's a thick yellow layer that contains sensory fluid-filled channels. On top of the dentin is the enamel – a very hard and translucent insulating material. Enamel is what protects your teeth from bacteria, acid, and temperature change. It's also tough enough to withstand the forces of biting. But if that enamel gets fractured or thin in an area, the underlying dentin will let you know just how sensitive it is.
Why Your Teeth Get Sensitive Your enamel may weaken as a result of:
- Acid erosion
- Wear from grinding your teeth
If your gums are receding, the exposed roots which have no enamel can also be very sensitive.
Have Your Ice Cream and Eat It, Too! Fight back against sensitivity by using a desensitizing toothpaste and a fluoride rinse. These will help strengthen and remineralize your enamel. You should also see a dentist about your sensitive teeth. A little cosmetic bonding may be sufficient to patch up weak spots. Take the steps so you can enjoy your ice cream this summer without going through the roof on every bite! What's more, sensitivity could indicate a nerve problem that needs urgent attention. Don't let sensitive teeth ruin your summer! Visit SEDA Dental for a checkup.